Construction and Demolition Recycling Ordinance

The City has a Construction and Demolition (C&D) Ordinance (05-09) requiring all demolition projects, all commercial projects valued over $200,000, all new commercial projects over 1,000 square feet, all new residential construction projects, and all residential additions and improvements that increase building area, volume, or size to recycle a minimum of 65% of all inert materials and 65% of all other materials.

The process can be completed online through the City’s online permitting program or you may print a copy of a Construction & Demolition Materials Management Plan and submit via email or in-person at the Permit Center. The paper form and a list of franchised haulers can be accessed here: CDMMP FORM 

For deposit and W-9 information, please see below.

CDMMP Frequently Asked Questions

What is a CDMMP?

A Construction and Demolition Materials Management Plan (CDMMP) is a form to assist applicants in planning C&D recycling efforts. This form is collected prior to building permit.

Do I have to fill out a CDMMP?

You must fill out a CDMMP if your project is one of the following:

  • A commercial project valuated over $200,000 or new commercial project over 1,000 square feet
  • A new residential construction project
  • A residential addition or improvement that increases the building area, volume, or size
  • Any demolition project

Are there any fees involved?

There is no fee, however you must supply a deposit for the project. The deposit is calculated at 2% of the highest valuation or $15,000, whichever is less, for a construction project and 10% of the highest valuation or $15,000, whichever is less, for a demolition project. The deposit may be made in the form of cash, check, credit card, or letter of credit. If you choose to submit a letter of credit, please request a letter of credit template to provide to your bank and allow for extra time to process. Both the deposit and the approved CDMMP must be received by the City before a building permit may be issued.

Whoever will pay the deposit will need to complete and submit a W-9 so that we can refund the deposit at the end of the project, as long as requirements are met. (Proof of 65% recycle or reuse of all project materials). No taxpayer identification number is required since this is a refund and not a payment.

How can I dispose of my waste?

You have two options to dispose of your waste. First, you may use one of the City’s franchised haulers to provide a temporary bin. You may also self-haul your waste to certified C&D recycling centers. To find C&D recycling centers in our area, please search the Los Angeles County recycling facility listing.

How do I get my deposit back?

Once your project is complete, you will need to provide diversion information to Environmental Services staff. If you chose to have a temporary bin or roll off box at your project during construction or renovation, simply ask the hauler for a diversion report for your project. If you chose to self-haul your waste, you will need to provide weight tickets from each trip to the recycling center and/or landfill. You must also provide verification that the materials were in fact diverted.

Diversion reports may be submitted via email to or mail to the following address:

City of Santa Clarita

Environmental Services
23920 Valencia Blvd., Suite 225
Santa Clarita, CA 91355-2196

Please make sure the diversion report includes the correct project address and project name. Once those reports have been provided and staff verifies your diversion percentage, you will receive your refund check in the mail within approximately 3-4 weeks.