Construction and Demolition Recycling Ordinance

PhotoOn June 28, 2005, the City passed a Construction and Demolition (C&D) Ordinance (05-09) requiring all demolition projects, new construction projects valued over $500,000 and all tenant improvements or alterations valued over $100,000 to recycle a minimum of 50% of all inert materials and 50% of all other materials. You may print a copy of a Construction & Demolition Materials Management Plan and a list of franchised haulers here:


CDMMP Frequently Asked Questions

What is a CDMMP?

A Construction and Demolition Materials Management Plan (CDMMP) is a form to assist applicants in planning C&D recycling efforts. This form is collected prior to building permit.

Do I have to fill out a CDMMP?

You must fill out a CDMMP if your project is one of the following:

  • A tenant improvement or alteration project valuated over $100,000
  • A new building project valuated over $500,000
  • All demolition projects

Are there any fees involved?

There is no longer an administrative fee, however, you must supply a deposit for the project. The deposit is calculated at 3% of the City’s valuation or $25,000, whichever is less. The deposit may be made in the form of cash, check, credit card, or letter of credit. If you choose to submit a letter of credit, please request a letter of credit template to provide to your bank and allow for extra time to process. Both the deposit and the approved CDMMP must be received by the City before a building permit may be issued.

How can I dispose of my waste?

You have two options to dispose of your waste. First, you may use one of the City’s franchised haulers to provide a temporary bin. You may also self-haul your waste to certified C&D recycling centers. To find C&D recycling centers in our area, please search the CalRecycle database.

How do I get my deposit back?

Once your project is complete, you will need to provide diversion reports to Environmental Services staff. If you chose to have a temporary bin or rolloff box at your project during construction or renovation, simply ask the hauler for a diversion report for your project. If you chose to self-haul your waste, you will need to provide weight tickets from each trip to the recycling center and/or landfill. You must also provide verification that the materials were in fact diverted.

Diversion reports may be submitted via email to, via fax to (661) 255-4356, or via mail to the following address:

City of Santa Clarita

Environmental Services
23920 Valencia Blvd., Suite 300
Santa Clarita, CA 91355-2196

Please make sure the diversion report includes the correct project address and project name. Once those reports have been provided and staff verifies your diversion percentage, you will receive your refund check in the mail within approximately 3-4 weeks.